,

Lakurawa Attack Leaves 28 Dead in Sokoto Village, Police Confirm

Police have confirmed that 28 people were killed in a suspected Lakurawa attack on a village in Sokoto State, while the scale and pattern of the assault initially made it difficult for authorities to establish the exact casualty figure. The Sokoto State Police Command has confirmed the death of 28 people following an attack by…

Police have confirmed that 28 people were killed in a suspected Lakurawa attack on a village in Sokoto State, while the scale and pattern of the assault initially made it difficult for authorities to establish the exact casualty figure.

The Sokoto State Police Command has confirmed the death of 28 people following an attack by Lakurawa terrorists on Ungushi community in Kebbe Local Government Area of the state on Sunday evening.

The spokesperson of the Sokoto State Police Command, DSP Ahmad Rufai, confirmed the casualty figure on Tuesday, noting that the pattern of the attack made it difficult to immediately ascertain the exact number of casualties.

Local sources had earlier confirmed that the Chief Imam of Ungushi Izala Jumu’at Mosque, Imam Aliyu, was among the victims of the attack.

Meanwhile, the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 8 Division of the Nigerian Army, Major General Paul Kaughna, had earlier conducted an assessment visit to the Forward Operating Base (FOB) in Kebbe and surrounding communities.

This was contained in a statement signed by the Acting Deputy Director, Army Public Relations, 8 Division, Nigerian Army/Sector 2 Operation FANSAN YAMMA, Lieutenant Colonel Olaniyi Osoba.

Osoba said the visit was part of a decisive move to address recent threats posed by the Lakurawa terrorist group in Kebbe LGA of Sokoto State.

According to him, the GOC has proactively readjusted the Army’s security architecture to prevent further terrorist infiltration and secure vulnerable border communities between Sokoto and Kebbi states.

He said the GOC, while addressing the communities, emphasised the Army’s unwavering determination to respond swiftly and decisively to any emerging threats, ensuring that terrorist elements find no safe haven in the region.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

About the Author

Precious Scooplounge Founder

Opeyemi Precious

Precious Opeyemi is an independent media entrepreneur, journalist, and the founder of Scoop Lounge. Driven by a commitment to credible, balanced, and high-impact journalism, she established the platform to deliver rapid-response news summaries across multiple global sectors. Read full

Search the Archives

Access over the years of investigative journalism and breaking reports